On the eve of WWII, Kraków was home to more than 60,000 Jews, most of whom lived in the Jewish district, Kazimierz. The headquarters of the General Government, the area of eastern Poland under Nazi rule during the war, was also located here. The Kraków ghetto was established in March of 1941 and was liquidated between June of 1942 and March of 1943, with many of its inhabitants being sent to the Bełżec killing center or to Płaszów, the labor camp on the outskirts of Kraków. Others were killed on the streets of the ghetto or sent to Auschwitz-Birkenau. Near the ghetto was the enamelware factory of Oskar Schindler.